Request a Brochure

Gaming & Technology

Program Areas

Game Art & Design at the Art Institute of Tampa

Game Art & Design

You can learn how to take games from concept to market-ready—and turn your skills and passion for gaming as you prepare for a career as a key player and virtual storyteller.

Meet our Faculty

  • Meet The Art Institute of Tampa, a branch of Miami International University of Art & Design Media Arts & Animation Instructor Krishna Sadasivam.

    Krishna Sadasivam

    Media Arts & Animation

    When students see how much time I put into my craft, I think they understand what it takes to survive and thrive as a designer.

    Read More

    Krishna Sadasivam

    Was there a defining moment when you knew you were destined to become a creative professional?

    I embraced creativity from a very early age. Working as an engineer, I made comics online – poking fun of technology and geek culture. A few of them were published on CNET, and that led to a regular paid gig with a tech magazine in Europe. Getting my first paycheck and seeing my work in print in a glossy magazine with a large circulation made me realize there were opportunities to make money with my art.

    How do you weave your professional background into the classroom experience?

    My clients have included Microsoft, Bandai Namco, and the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History. Whether it's designing a movie poster, pitching an idea, documenting process work, or knowing how to read and prepare a contract, I routinely bring my professional experiences and lessons learned into the classroom. It's absolutely critical for students to understand that in today's workforce, you have to wear many hats, work hard, ask questions, and have a can-do attitude. My job as an instructor is to give my students the time, tools and resources they need to become successful in their chosen field.

    What class assignment exemplifies your approach to teaching and mentoring?

    I make it a point to ground all my class projects and assignments in a real-world context, emphasizing the importance of visual process and research to the design workflow.

    How do you inspire students to push themselves beyond their perceived limits?

    I have high demands and expectations for myself, and when students see how much time I put into my craft, I think they understand what it takes to survive and thrive as a designer.

    How does collaboration contribute to students' success—particularly when students from various programs work together?

    Teamwork and resource sharing are critical to success in this industry. Working across disciplines mirrors reality, and it's important to understand and work within the dynamics of a team to get the work done.

    What's the most critical advice you would offer any student embarking on a creative career?

    Always be open to learning new things and sharing what you know with your peers. Be humble—there's always someone who's better than you are.

    Anything else you'd like to share?

    My job as an instructor is to give my students the time, tools and resources they need to succeed in their chosen field.

    Read More...

  • Mariela Genco

    Mariela H. Genco

    Culinary Arts

    Gather all the information you can. Experience as much as possible. And adapt to what life throws at you.

    Read More

    Mariela H. Genco

    Was there a defining moment when you knew you were destined to become a creative professional?

    It had to be when I was a little girl and my mother found me in the kitchen trying to make a "peach cake," which consisted of everything I could possibly find that had something to do with baking. That's when I knew a 9-to-5 job just wasn't going to cut it. I needed more of an outlet.

    How do you weave your professional background into the classroom experience?

    My teaching style revolves around how the industry really works, based on my experience. And I make sure my students understand what employers will expect of them once they enter the work force.

    What class assignment exemplifies your approach to teaching and mentoring, and how do you inspire students to push themselves beyond their perceived limits?

    I feel that all my assignments inspire students to push themselves and move out of their comfort zones. The more they go beyond their limits, the more they learn and grow as people and professionals.

    How does collaboration contribute to students' success—particularly when students from various programs work together?

    Collaboration is very important to student success. In the culinary industry, you're a member of a team that works together to accomplish a common objective. Buying into the team concept usually leads to positive results—not only in the classroom, but also in a professional kitchen.

    What's the most important thing you impart to students to help them succeed in class and the real world?

    Gather all the information you can. Experience as much as possible. And adapt to what life throws at you.

    What's the most critical advice you would offer any student embarking on a creative career?

    Make sure this is the creative career you want, because this industry is hard. Not being absolutely sure just won't cut it.

    Anything else you'd like to share?

    My position as a chef instructor lets me combine my passion for culinary with the structure of higher education.

    Read More...

  • Viet Vo

    Viet Vo

    Culinary Management , 2009

    Read More

    Viet Vo

    Read More...

Latest Happenings